A chemical peel is a solution made up of a blend of acids that encourages exfoliation, or the detachment of dead skin cells, in the skin. Different acids effectively treat specific skin concerns, such as salicylic acid for acne and lactic acid for pigmentation. As dead layers of skin lift away, new, healthy cells can surface. At Infinite Youth Medical Spa, we customize chemical peels for each patient. Your provider can layer peels, adjust their strength, and even control the depth at which the peel absorbs into your skin.
Chemical peels work by dissolving the bonds between dead skin cells and the oils on our skin, therefore speeding up our skin's natural exfoliation process. When a peel is applied, a chemical reaction begins to occur, and the peel's active ingredients absorb into deeper layers.
Throughout the next few days, the skin may gradually begin to flake and shed as new, healthier functioning cells work their way to the surface. Each peel reveals smoother, brighter, tighter, and more even skin. A series of chemical peels can correct skin damage from the inside out by progressively exfoliating layers of damaged cells away.
Chemical peels are effective in the treatment of common skin concerns such as:
- Pustular and congestive acne
- Blackheads and whiteheads
- Acne scarring
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Sun damage and pigment irregularities
- Hormonal pigmentation, such as melasma
- Aging skin
- Sensitive skin and rosacea
- Dry and dehydrated skin
- Rough, uneven skin texture
The benefits of chemical peels include:
- Reduction in acne-causing bacteria
- Reduced oil production
- Reduced occurrence of acne breakouts
- Clearer skin and pores
- Lightening of skin discolorations, hyperpigmentation, and sun damage
- Smoother, firmer, tighter skin
- Increased luminosity and brightness
- Reduced redness and flushing
- Softening of fine lines and wrinkles