Both Botox® Cosmetic and Dysport® are highly purified proteins derived from the bacterium, Clostridium botulinum. When injected in tiny amounts, they temporarily relax the muscular contractions that can cause wrinkles to form on our skin. Botox® and Dysport® are most commonly used in the lines across the forehead, between the eyebrows, and around the eyes. Injections are virtually painless, have no downtime, and take less than 15 minutes to perform.
Beyond treating wrinkles and fine lines in the upper face, Botox® and Dysport® injections may also be used to:
- Subtly elevate the brows
- Soften "bunny lines" (crinkles on the nose when smiling)
- Reduce the appearance of the gum line when smiling
- "Flip" the upper lip to make it appear fuller
- Elevate the corners of the mouth
- Reduce the appearance of marionette lines by the chin
- Smooth dimples in the chin area
- Prevent teeth grinding
- Smooth the contours of the jawline
- Reduce the appearance of banding in the neckline
Once injected, Botox® and Dysport® gradually relax the underlying muscle activity that causes a line or wrinkle to form. They do this by preventing the muscle's nerve receptors from receiving the signal from your brain to contract. This process happens over a series of days, with results lasting three to four months on average.
*You're unique! Some people respond differently to Botox® than they do to Dysport®. We encourage our patients to experience both products at least once if they have results that set in faster or last longer with one product over the other